Passiflora Tea Room, Café and Herbal Shoppe is a traditional tea room, serving local organic food, that opened in 2003 in New Hartford, CT. Come let us nurture you with our vast selection of high-quality, loose leaf teas and herbal tisanes (over 100 varieties). We serve local, organic, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free, food that is lovingly prepared. Every item is "home-made", from our garden-fresh soups to our veggie burger. Top off your meal with one of our amazing home-made desserts (we usually offer a gluten-free and/or vegan option). We also have a bulk herb and tincture apothecary. Nutrition information and education is part of our mission. But our main mission is that you leave happier than when you came in.
We offer local cuisine to nurture your body and spirit, eat in or take out, prepared by our talented chefs. We procure from local businesses including Wild Carrot Farm (Canton, CT), Urban Oaks Farm (New Britain, CT), Lamothe's (Burlington, CT), Bantam Bread (Bantam, CT), as well as from our own Organic Garden.
Passiflora’s Food Philosophy
"Let your food be your medicine" --Hippocrates
Michael Pollan, a N.Y. Time’s correspondent, has written two books recently about the difficulty of making food choices, because much of what we encounter in the markets is so processed that it is not food. As he so aptly points out, “If your great-great grandmother would not recognize it as food, do not eat it.” As a result, we are making available to our entire constituency, particularly our customers and employees, our philosophy in relation to this confusion in preparing wholesome nutritious food in our Passiflora café and tea room.
- Rule #1 - No high fructose corn syrup.
“High Fructose” so rightly implies “the fast trip” to type 2 diabetes and the corn may be genetically modified. (Corn is cheap because our government subsidizes it.)
- Rule #2 - O grams “Trans Fat”
Our government allows .5 grams per serving, even in products that say “O trans fats” on processed food labels.
- Rule #3 - Only use healthy oils.
Extra virgin olive oil, ghee (clarified butter) organic butter, organic coconut oil and organic canola oil. We use no safflower, corn, soybean oils, etc. These are extremely processed and inflammatory to your cells.
- Rule #4 - Buy locally and keep expanding our local supplier base.
Check out our website for our current local suppliers. This reduces our carbon imprint on the planet.
- Rule #5 - Obtain vegetables from our own organic garden
Whenever seasonally possible.
- Rule #6 - Buy only organic soy, canola and corn.
When we purchase soy, canola and corn, we always buy organic because these products may be genetically modified. Our government does not require labeling of genetically modified foods ( the European Community does).
- Rule #7 - The 20 most contaminated fruits and vegetables are always purchased as organic.
Organic food has more nutrients.
- Rule # 8 - Among the other vegetable and fruits we assess every decision We give preference to organic or local, low pesticide, fertilizers usage, among the highest quality freshest choices available.
- Rule # 9 - 98% of the food prepared is “home- made” from scratch.
The few exceptions include our wraps.
- Rule # 10 - Our Chefs prepare our food with positive energy and love.
May you be blessed with lots and lots of Vital Health!!!!!!